A persiMon® from Ribera del Xúquer:
- is bright orange and tends to be larger and longer than other persimmon varieties;
- is firm and ready to eat (unlike other persimmon varieties which must be consumed when they are soft);
- is not astringent (bitter) thanks to a naturally occurring ripening process
- has a sweet, delicate flavour similar to a peach or a mango; and
- is sometimes speckled with natural sugar freckles, which appear as the fruit ripens (just like bananas). These freckles are a sign of extra sweetness.
- Harvest in Ribera del Xúquer begins in the fall (October).
- persiMon® from Ribera del Xúquer are available in limited quantities and for a limited time (October to January).
The value of the persiMon® brand
- To differentiate this unique variety only grown in Ribera del Xúquer, it was given the name, persiMon®, intentionally spelled with one ‘m,’ and a registered trademark.
- persiMon® was also granted a Denomination of Origin designation by the Spanish government. This highly coveted, quality seal is the only one existing in the world for a persimmon fruit variety and is recognized by the European Union.
- To ensure excellent quality, a Regulatory Council was founded in 1998 to regulate the production, quality, flavour, appearance and packaging of persiMon® grown and certified in the Ribera del Xúquer area.
- The rigorous inspections performed at each level of production, to gain the sought-after D.O. status, ensure that each piece of fruit available on grocery store shelves bearing the persiMon® registered trademark is guaranteed to be the very best.
How to select, store and eat a persiMon®
- When purchasing a persiMon® from Ribera del Xúquer at the grocery store, the fruit will be firm and ready to eat.
- When you get home, place each persiMon® in a bowl (away from other fruit) and store on the counter. Do not refrigerate.
- Sweet and succulent, the persiMon® has a firm consistency and is delicious when eaten raw.
- The persiMon® is not astringent like other varieties of persimmons.
- persiMon® are versatile and can be eaten either hard, like an apple, or soft, like a peach.
- Eat it fresh out-of-hand or slice it in wedges/segments like an apple. Discard the top of the persiMon®, as you would an apple stem, leave the skin on or peel it.
- Once you cut open a persiMon®, you will discover a seedless, orange flesh (ideal for children).
- persiMon®make a naturally sweet and healthy lunch or anytime snack.
- Add persiMon® wedges/slices to your morning cereal.
- Serve persiMon® with yogurt or ice-cream.
- persiMon® are the perfect addition to salads.
- persiMon® are a good source of vitamins A and C and potassium and are high in antioxidants.
- persiMon® are high in fibre, with 6 grams per fruit (double the fibre content of a peach, banana or orange).
- A medium-sized persiMon® has approximately 120 calories.
- They are a source of vitamins C, K and folate, and an excellent source of vitamin A.
- persiMon® contains the minerals potassium, magnesium and manganese, which are factors in the maintenance of good health.
- persiMon® contain the antioxidants beta carotene, lutein and lycopene. These antioxidants, along with vitamins A and C, may help protect human cells from the damaging action of free radicals, thus protecting against heart disease, cancer and aging.
About Kaki persiMon® from Ribera del Xúquer
D.O.P. Kaki Ribera del Xúquer, was established in 1998 to oversee the implementation of strict quality controls surrounding the entire value chain production of persiMon® fruit. Since 2001 it is a Protected Denomination of Origin by the European Union. It represents almost 6,000 registered producers and 15 packers with more than 4,000 hectares of production in the province of Valencia, one of the most important growing regions of kaki in Europe.
For more information, please visit www.persimoncanada.com or contact:
Heidi Kim, Argyle Public Relationships. firstname.lastname@example.org; 416.968.7311 x237